Dr. Pablo Carravilla
My main research interests are membrane biophysics, viruses and fluorescence microscopy. I want to understand the role that lipids play during HIV-1 infection and the immune response, and for that I study live cells and model systems using advanced and super-resolution microscopy.
§ Corresponding author
- Carravilla P §, Nieva JL & Eggeling C Fluorescence Microscopy of the HIV-1 Envelope. Viruses 12 (3), 348 (2020).
- Carravilla P et al. The Bilayer Collective Properties Govern the Interaction of an HIV1 Antibody with the Viral Membrane. Biophys. J. 118 (1), 44-56 (2020).
- Carravilla P et al. Molecular recognition of the native HIV-1 MPER revealed by STED microscopy of single virions. Nat. Commun. 10:78 (2019).
- Carravilla P & Nieva JL HIV antivirals: Targeting the functional organization of the lipid envelope. Future Virol. 13, 129–140 (2018).
- Chojnacki J et al. Envelope glycoprotein mobility on HIV-1 particles depends on the virus maturation state. Nat. Commun. 8:545 (2017).
- Carravilla P et al. Effects of HIV-1 gp41-Derived Virucidal Peptides on Virus-like Lipid Membranes. Biophys. J. 113 (6), 1301-1310 (2017).
- Huarte N*, Carravilla P* et al. Functional organization of the HIV lipid envelope. Sci. Rep. 6, 34190 (2016).
- Carravilla P, Nieva JL, Goñi FM, Requejo-Isidro J & Huarte N Two-Photon Laurdan Studies of the Ternary Lipid Mixture DOPC:SM:Cholesterol Reveal a Single Liquid Phase at Sphingomyelin:Cholesterol Ratios Lower Than 1. Langmuir 31, 2808–2817 (2015).
- Apellaniz B et al. Cholesterol-Dependent Membrane Fusion Induced by the gp41 Membrane-Proximal External Region-Transmembrane Domain Connection Suggests a Mechanism for Broad HIV-1 Neutralization. J. Virol. 88, 13367–13377 (2014).
- Serrano S, Araujo A et al. Structure and immunogenicity of a peptide vaccine, including the complete HIV-1 gp41 2F5 epitope: Implications for antibody recognition mechanism and immunogen design. J. Biol. Chem. 289, 6565–6580 (2014).
§ Corresponding author
- since 2019 Postdoc, Eggeling lab, Institute of Applied Optics and Biophysics, Friedrich-Schiller University, Jena
- 2018 - 2019 Postdoc, Nieva lab, Biofisika Institute, University of the Basque Country, Bilbao
- 2013 - 2017 PhD, Nieva lab, Biofisika Institute, University of the Basque Country, Bilbao
- 2012 - 2013 Master in Molecular Biology and Biomedicine. University of the Basque Country, Bilbao
- 2008 - 2012 Degree in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology. University of the Basque Country, Bilbao