Dr. Pablo Carravilla
My main research interests are membrane biophysics, viruses and fluorescence microscopy. I want to understand the role that lipids play during HIV-1 infection and the immune response, and for that I study live cells and model systems using advanced and super-resolution microscopy.
A short video about me
§ Corresponding author.
- Hidalgo et al. Pulmonary surfactant and drug delivery: Vehiculization, release and targeting of surfactant/tacrolimus formulations. J Control Release. 24:S0168-3659(20)30692-1 (2020)
- Diederich et al. Nanoscopy on the Chea(i)p. bioRxiv doi: https://doi.org/10.1101/2020.09.04.283085 (2020)
- Largo E et al. Single-molecule conformational dynamics of viroporin ion channels regulated by lipid-protein interactions. Bioelectrochemistry 137:107641 (2020)
- Rujas E et al. Affinity for the Interface Underpins Potency of Antibodies Operating In Membrane Environments. Cell Rep 32(7):108037 (2020).
- Torralba J et al. Cholesterol constrains the antigenic configuration of the membrane-proximal neutralizing HIV-1 epitope. ACS Infect Dis 6(8), 2155-2168 (2020)
- Carravilla P §, Nieva JL & Eggeling C Fluorescence Microscopy of the HIV-1 Envelope. Viruses 12 (3), 348 (2020).
- Carravilla P et al. The Bilayer Collective Properties Govern the Interaction of an HIV-1 Antibody with the Viral Membrane. Biophys J 118 (1), 44-56 (2020).
- Carravilla P et al. Molecular recognition of the native HIV-1 MPER revealed by STED microscopy of single virions. Nat Commun 10:78 (2019).
- Carravilla P & Nieva JL HIV antivirals: Targeting the functional organization of the lipid envelope. Future Virol 13, 129–140 (2018).
- Chojnacki J et al. Envelope glycoprotein mobility on HIV-1 particles depends on the virus maturation state. Nat Commun 8:545 (2017).
- Carravilla P et al. Effects of HIV-1 gp41-Derived Virucidal Peptides on Virus-like Lipid Membranes. Biophys J 113 (6), 1301-1310 (2017).
- Huarte N*, Carravilla P* et al. Functional organization of the HIV lipid envelope. Sci Rep 6, 34190 (2016).
- Carravilla P et al. Two-Photon Laurdan Studies of the Ternary Lipid Mixture DOPC:SM:Cholesterol Reveal a Single Liquid Phase at Sphingomyelin:Cholesterol Ratios Lower Than 1. Langmuir 31, 2808–2817 (2015).
- Apellaniz B et al. Cholesterol-Dependent Membrane Fusion Induced by the gp41 Membrane-Proximal External Region-Transmembrane Domain Connection Suggests a Mechanism for Broad HIV-1 Neutralization. J Virol 88, 13367–13377 (2014).
- Serrano S, Araujo A et al. Structure and immunogenicity of a peptide vaccine, including the complete HIV-1 gp41 2F5 epitope: Implications for antibody recognition mechanism and immunogen design. J Biol Chem 289, 6565–6580 (2014).
§ Corresponding author.
- since 2020 MSCA fellow, Eggeling lab, Leibniz Institute of Photonic technology and Institute of Applied Optics and Biophysics, Friedrich-Schiller University, Jena
- 2019 - 2020 Postdoc, Eggeling lab, Institute of Applied Optics and Biophysics, Friedrich-Schiller University, Jena
- 2018 - 2019 Postdoc, Nieva lab, Biofisika Institute, University of the Basque Country, Bilbao
- 2013 - 2017 PhD, Nieva lab, Biofisika Institute, University of the Basque Country, Bilbao
- 2012 - 2013 Master in Molecular Biology and Biomedicine. University of the Basque Country, Bilbao
- 2008 - 2012 Degree in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology. University of the Basque Country, Bilbao